Dear Sacred Heart Cathedral School Family,
Thank you for all of your good wishes and support as we move into 2018. It is always nice to see everyone’s enthusiasm as we begin our third quarter and new year. We have many events before spring break. The last week of January, as always, we celebrate Catholic Schools Week, beginning with grandparents’ day on Friday, January 26 at 8 am. Mass. The rest of the schedule is at the end of this letter. Then we have our second round of MAP testing. The students will be able to follow their progress and see improvement in their learning. This will also take place near the end of January. The first week of March is the week of Iowa Assessment testing, then our second student led conference will be held before spring break.
On a tragic note, one of our school families experienced a fire this past weekend which gutted their home. Thankfully, they escaped, along with their pets and are safe and well. While their possessions can be replaced, this is a devastating loss. Student Council will be hosting an out-of-uniform day on Wednesday, January 17th for a monetary donation of $2 or more. Thank you for supporting our efforts to help this family.
Blessings to you as we join together and celebrate Catholic education,
Elizabeth and Dave
January 26 – Friday: Celebrating Family Tradition – “Grandparents Day”
- Parents and Grandparents are invited to School Mass at 8:00
- Grandparents are invited to play games with Grandkids. (9:00-11:00 am – all grades)
- Book Fair available
- Photo booth with grandparents in gym, Ave Maria Hall, or outside (weather permitting)
- Geography Bee at 1:45 pm.
January 28 – Sunday: Celebrating Your Parish
- Opening Mass at 8:00 am. Students, please wear your school uniform. 8th graders, please wear your leadership uniform
- Pancake Breakfast in SHCS Gymnasium after 8:00 Mass on Sunday
January 29 – Monday: Celebrating Community and Volunteers
- Appreciation Breakfast for first responders in the community – Gym, 8:30 am.
- Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon – 12:30 pm in gym
- Buddy classes will be preparing meals for Loaves & Fishes
- 100th Day of School
January 30 – Tuesday: Celebrating Students
- Students may dress up as their favorite book character!
- Hourly “Dance to the Music” over the loudspeakers
- Family Feud competition in the gym
- No Homework! (all students)
January 31 – Wednesday: Celebrating our Nation
- Students will be singing patriotic songs at morning assembly.
- Veterans and all community members who have ever served in the military are invited to attend our morning assembly and flag ceremony
February 1 – Thursday: Celebrating Vocations
- Mini-retreat by James Redding for middle school (1:00pm) with Adoration to follow
- Students wear goofy socks for picture to send to the Bishop
- Writing letters to seminarians and religious
February 2 – Friday: Celebrating Faculty
- Parents and Parishioners are invited to join us for school Mass at 8:00 am.
- StuCo attends Mass at Catholic High with lunch to follow
- Volleyball Game (Faculty vs. 8th Grade) in the parking lot at 1:45 pm
We thank you for being a part of our wonderful school family and all you do to support Catholic Schools.